Winter Energy Savings Tips
• Try to minimize the number of times that you open your doors to the outside weather.
• When not using the chimney, remember to shut the flue.
• Insulate walls and attic areas properly. Batts of insulation added to your attic is an easy do-it yourself project.
• Lowering your thermostat by 1 degree F. will reduce your heating bill by 2%. Maintaining 68 degrees is an average daily temperature, with lower temperatures at nighttime. Also, lower the thermostat if you will not be home during the daytime hours.
• Use ceiling fans set at slow speed to push the warm air away from the ceiling and move it around your rooms. Everyone will feel the warmth and be more comfortable!
• Try to use the sun when it is out! Open windows on southern and eastern exposures throughout the daytime hours. Remember to close shades before sun sets to keep the heat in the house.